Recent KBS News
- KBS LTER research published in BioScience
- Sprunger named SSSA "Future Leader in Science"
- Cara Krieg featured in MSU Today
- KBS Researchers Find Benefits to Perennial Bioenergy Crops
- Litchman team to study aquatic systems using robotic fish
- Winter Bird Feeding for Beginners
- Dr. Bruno Basso's Research on the Ogallala Aquifer Featured in Earth's Future
- Schemske-led team's adaptation study published in PNAS
- CSA News Profiles Use of Drone Technology in Agricultural Research
- Basso-led team's drone research featured in NSF video
RSS News Feed
|Sara Garnett: KBS's Jeopardy! Champion|
|Tuesday, 12 March 2013 00:27|
Congratulations to KBS’s own Sara Garnett, who earned a whopping $77,403 during a recent four-day run on the popular tv game show Jeopardy!.
Sara is a Ph.D. student in Tom Getty’s lab, where she is working toward a dual degree in Zoology and Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior. Her research, conducted in the pond labs at KBS, examines how kinship may affect competition and cooperation among American toad tadpoles.
A KBS GK-12 Fellow, Sara also works with AP Biology students at Plainwell High School.
The Jeopardy! episodes featuring Sara aired on February 27th and 28th, and March 1st and 4th. They were taped in September 2012. The first three episodes were taped back-to-back. (Whew!)
"Obviously, the experience was amazing," Sara said. "I loved how everybody at KBS came together (to watch the episodes with her at McCrary Hall) and were so supportive about it."
A veteran of various high school and college quiz bowl teams, Sara prepared by practicing on internet quiz sites--and boning up on one unfamiliar topic in particular.
"Opera--that was the one thing I was really, really prepared for!" Sara laughed.
Sara said she has no definite career plans but will probably pursue education in some form.
"I enjoy helping students to develop their own research questions and design experiments," Sara said. "It helps them to understand and be involved in the scientific process."
And what will she do with her winnings?
"I'll probably do something fun with it, but probably some of it should be managed responsibly," Sara said.
"Tom would probably say I need to get back to work," she laughed.