Recent KBS News
- Nicole Kokx, KBS Event Coordinator, named 2014-2015 Outstanding Staff Member by CANR
- KBS Director appointed to Chair NSF Advisory Committee for Biological Sciences
- Owl Training in Progress
- Bird Sanctuary Receives Grant for the Pollinator Garden!
- Dr. Steve Hamilton Awarded by MSU for Civic Engagement
- Undergrad researchers present at symposium
- Robertson contributes to landmark USDA report
- LTER goes to Capitol Hill
- Pollinator garden spruce up
- Hamilton wins MEC's Petosky Prize
RSS News Feed
|Sara Garnett: KBS's Jeopardy! Champion|
|Tuesday, 12 March 2013 00:27|
Congratulations to KBS’s own Sara Garnett, who earned a whopping $77,403 during a recent four-day run on the popular tv game show Jeopardy!.
Sara is a Ph.D. student in Tom Getty’s lab, where she is working toward a dual degree in Zoology and Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior. Her research, conducted in the pond labs at KBS, examines how kinship may affect competition and cooperation among American toad tadpoles.
A KBS GK-12 Fellow, Sara also works with AP Biology students at Plainwell High School.
The Jeopardy! episodes featuring Sara aired on February 27th and 28th, and March 1st and 4th. They were taped in September 2012. The first three episodes were taped back-to-back. (Whew!)
"Obviously, the experience was amazing," Sara said. "I loved how everybody at KBS came together (to watch the episodes with her at McCrary Hall) and were so supportive about it."
A veteran of various high school and college quiz bowl teams, Sara prepared by practicing on internet quiz sites--and boning up on one unfamiliar topic in particular.
"Opera--that was the one thing I was really, really prepared for!" Sara laughed.
Sara said she has no definite career plans but will probably pursue education in some form.
"I enjoy helping students to develop their own research questions and design experiments," Sara said. "It helps them to understand and be involved in the scientific process."
And what will she do with her winnings?
"I'll probably do something fun with it, but probably some of it should be managed responsibly," Sara said.
"Tom would probably say I need to get back to work," she laughed.