Recent KBS News
- MSU geological sciences professor named 2015 Soil Science Society of America Fellow
- Grant to help increase biofuel yield while limiting fertilizer use
- Pollinator Garden Blossoms Thanks to Grant and Volunteers
- MSU Today highlights KBS research on biofuel crops' water consumption
- MSU professor Gary Mittelbach honored as fellow of the Ecological Society of America
- Sarah Fitzpatrick co-recipient of Outstanding Student Presentation award
- Generosity of local farmer creates national impact
- KBS expertise on proposed dams within Amazon river basin
- KBS graduate student Elizabeth Schultheis awarded the Tracy Hammer Graduate Student Award
- KBS researcher Eben Gering's work highlighted in the New York Times.
RSS News Feed
|Hamilton wins MEC's Petosky Prize|
|Wednesday, 02 July 2014 21:47|
Congratulations to KBS's Dr. Stephen K. Hamilton, Professor of Zoology, named the 2014 recipient of the Petoskey Prize for Environmental Leadership by the Michigan Environmental Council (MEC).
The annual award honors an individual whose commitment, creativity and courage have inspired others to safeguard Michigan’s air, land and water for future generations.
Hamilton served as an independent scientific advisor to policymakers, clean-up workers and concerned community members after a pipeline rupture in 2010 spilled an estimated 843,000 gallons of crude oil into the Kalamazoo River system, creating the largest inland oil spill in U.S. history.
As associate director of the biological station, where he has taught since 1995, Hamilton’s research focuses on biogeochemistry and ecosystem ecology with particular attention to aquatic environments.
He has served as president of the Kalamazoo River Watershed Council since 2006.
In a statement, the MEC called Hamilton “a rare species: an accomplished scientist who uses his knowledge to inform the public, engage the media, consult with decision makers and champion environmental protection.”
Hamilton will be recognized at the MEC’s 16th Annual Environmental Awards Celebration on Wednesday, July 9 at the Ann Arbor City Club in Ann Arbor, Mich.