Congratulations to the undergraduate researchers who presented posters at the 2014 KBS Undergraduate Research Symposium, held on Wednesday, August 6. For a gallery of photos, please visit the KBS Facebook page. Projects included:
- "Eggs-pressing condition: What do House Wren eggs say about the female?" Aaron Aguirre, MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club, Getty Lab. Mentor: Cara Krieg.
- "Do soil microbial communities from cropping systems of varying diversity account for differences in yields?" Olivia Barrera, MSU Plant Biology, Gross Lab. Mentors: Kay Gross and Karen Stahlheber.
- "Listening to what females have to say: Female song characteristics may communicate fighting condition to rival House Wrens." Alexandra Burnett, MSU Zoology, Getty Lab. Mentor: Cara Krieg.
- "Multi-mutualist effects on arthropod communities and plant performance." Sara Carabajal, Humboldt State University, Lau Lab. Mentors: Kane Keller and Susan Magnoli.
- "Using community weighted means to understand compositional changes over time in restored southwest Michigan prairies." Madeleine Cleary, MSU Fisheries and Wildlife, Burdvig Lab. Mentor: Chad Zirbel.
- "Land use history and soil microbial communities affect plant invader success in prairie restorations." Kent Connell, University of Tennessee - Knoxville, Lau Lab. Mentor: Tyler Bassett.
- "Effects of nitrogen disposition on the mutualistic qualities of rhizobia." Nolan Foust, Kalamazoo College, Lau Lab. Mentor: Tomomi Suwa.
- "Ecophysiology traits related to drought resistance in annual and perennial C3 grasses." Michelle Franklin, University of Michigan, KBS Resident Mentor. Mentor: Mike Grillo.
- "Sorghum growth and production in soils from different switchgrass varieties." Katie Grantham, MSU Environmental Biology/Zoology, Gross Lab. Mentor: Karen Stahlheber.
- "Safety in numbers: Bufo americanus tadpoles school together when predators are near." Maxwell Grezlik, MSU Environmental Biology/Zoology, Gross Lab. Mentor: Sara Garnett.
- "Plasticity and evolution of algae cell-size under thermal stress." Farhana Haque, University of Texas - Austin, Litchman Lab. Mentors: Jakob Nalley and Daniel O'Donnell.
- "Sustainable pest control in agricultural systems." Gabriel King, MSU Department of Entomology, Lau Lab. Mentor: Jeremy Jubenville.
- "The effect of NOx emissions from soil on plant photosynthetic activity." Michele Lozano Dominguez, Arizona Western College, Robertson Lab. Mentor: Ilya Gelfand.
- "Are competitive interactions between clover and spotted knapweed driven by evolutionary differences in rhizobia?" Gabe Price, St. Ambrose University, Lau Lab. Mentors: Jen Lau and Dylan Weese.
- "Effect of rhizobia on pollination and herbivory rates." Lauren Taylor, St. Ambrose University, Lau Lab. Mentors: Jen Lau and Dylan Weese.
- "How to make biodiesel" and "Effects of weed presence and spatial arrangement on a soybean and sorghum strip intercropping system." Alex Whitlow, MSU Biosystems Engineering, MSU Extension and KBS LTER. Mentors: Julie Doll, Dean Baas, Dennis Pennington, Santiago Utsumi.
- "Soil nitrogen and carbon measures sensitive to management on KBS LTER." Alessandra Zuniga, New Mexico State University, Robertson Lab. Mentors: Brendan O'Neill and Christine Sprunger.