A main focus of KBS outreach is providing resources and professional development for local teachers. Sharing the love of science has created many resources and innovative programs.
Please explore our website to access free materials and contact Kara Haas, Science Education and Outreach Coordinator with questions.
What’s Happening? Stay connected:
- Check out recent blog posts,
- Follow @KaraHaaSciEd, @OutdoorsTeach
- Sign up for monthly e-mail newsletters or read previous Newsletters
- Join the KBS K-12 Partnership Teacher Resources Facebook Group to share resources and connect with science educators.
Lesson plans and field trip resources created by teachers, students and scientists.
- K-12 Partnership hosts three school year workshop days and a three-day summer institute each year for K-12 teachers and educators to expand science and natural history knowledge.
- Teaching Science Outdoors is a program for Elementary teachers with summers sessions (dependent on funding).
- Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) are full time, authentic research experiences held in summers when funding is available.
In 2020 we have added online programs for K-12 students to connect with KBS scientists and ambassador birds of prey from the Kellogg Bird Sanctuary. The Kellogg Bird Sanctuary hosts K-12 field trips* on a wide range of topics connected to KBS science and natural resources. If you don’t see a tour that fits your needs or your curriculum, please contact Misty Klotz, to discuss custom field trip ideas. (*in 2020-21 no on-site group tours or field trips are being offered.)
Training for Graduate Students in Science Communication and Outreach
Each year MSU STEM graduate students are offered the opportunity to apply to be Science Education and Outreach Fellows. Fellows work to coordinate professional development, lead field trips, visit classrooms and create lesson plans to help explain their research to new audiences. More information: Financial Support and Housing for Graduate Students.
Have questions? Send us an email! or Complete the form below!
Kara Haas, Science Education & Outreach Coordinator
Misty Klotz, Community Outreach Assistant
Elizeth Cinto Mejia, Science Education Fellow 2020-21
Joelyn de Lima, Science Education Fellow 2020-21
Kyle Jaynes, Science Education Fellow 2020-21